If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Monday, June 29, 2015

.









Tiny restaurant--Taylor








Down Home Cookin' Joan. Shoebox sized restaurant on Main Street has no counter, seating, bathroom or even drinks, but the tiny menu of comfort food dinners is excellent. For $7 per, Chuck and I had a meal of turkey with gravy and cranberry sauce over a piece of bread, mashed potato and carrot. We ate it sitting on a bench in front of a store down the street.

After three years in business, they had to shut down for three when a texting driver drove into their restaurant and destroyed it. Just reopened, all of their old customers are coming back, they said. He's a housepainter--notice the paint splatters on his shorts and shoes--and she also has another job, but I forgot to ask what it was.

They told me about their local bar in Old Forge, said a Bud is only $1.50 and that they were going there the next night. Chuck and I did go, but with Daniel, Chuck's son. When Dan saw a bunch of old farts sitting elbow to elbow in the darkened joint, he freaked out, however, so we went somewhere else.



.

2 comments:

Ian Keenan said...

Looks like a great place to eat. I don't get why they don't sell bottled soft drinks and water out of the fridge because there's a mark up.

The one time I stopped to eat in these parts it was the morning so I got a Soprano omelette (best omelette I've ever had) at Tony's and Son's in Kingston and then Genotti's in Moosic for cold pizza slices for later. Both places had great attitude. There was no menu at Tony's of course and I wanted to know the ingredients: "Look, you don’t need to know the ingredients. Everything here’s good. Who is this guy, coming in here and asking me the ingredients?! He’s not from around here. You don’t know nothing, but you just walked in on the best Italian food anywhere! Order any omelette, it doesn’t mattah! As long as you don’t got no allergies.” (Jimmy) I had read about the pizzas at Old Forge on Roadfood.com but it was the morning so I went in to Genotti's a sort of grocery store/ pizzeria that was open and there was a young woman on the register and a few stray slices of pizza in plastic wrap. I asked if they were a day old and whether I could get a discount for buying four or five of them. The cook (Vince I think) came out after conferencing with her and started essentially balling me out: that the pizzas are fresh and I didn't have to ask and there would be no discount because he was slaving over a hot oven all day, which put me in my ok ok I'm sorry mode. When she rang me up she took a dollar off as per instructions. Great pizza.

http://ianckeenan.blogspot.com/2008/12/review-bbq-tour.html

Linh Dinh said...

Great evocation of Tony's!