If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Monday, August 22, 2016

.









Giang at site of old refugee camp--Fort Indiantown Gap








Fort Indiantown Gap was a refugee camp for Vietnamese in 1975. My friend Giang stayed there as an 11-year-old. The same age, I was at Fort Chaffee in Arkansas.

Yesterday, we visited Fort Indiantown Gap together, and the experience was pretty emotional for Giang. At a nearby convenience store, chatty Giang talked to a lady in her 60's who had worked at the refugee camp. Giang invited her to have breakfast with us at Funck's, a restaurant next door, but since she couldn't get off her shift, Giang bought her a gift card as a thank you "for helping the Vietnamese."

Here are some of my Vietnam-related material online, "The Fall of Saigon" in the New York Times, "Apocalypse Lies" in the Guardian, and "Perplexing City of Saigon", a short video on ESPN with excerpts from my Vietnam novel, Love Like Hate.



.

No comments: